The RAF Centenary Stamp Cards - AQ260
This RAF Centenary Stamp Card Pack commemorates the 100th anniversary of the Royal Air Force and pays tribute not only to the significant part it has played in British military history but also to its ongoing role of protecting the country and its interests, providing humanitarian assistance and saving lives. It also highlights the bravery and heroism of its personnel and the innovation and technological advancement that has helped make the RAF the envy of the world.
The eleven stamp cards in this pack feature enlarged images of the six special stamps, the four Red Arrows special stamps and the composite miniature sheet. The stamps feature six RAF aircraft that span the 100 years of the RAF’s history as painted by the renowned aeronautical artist, Michael Turner. The images of the special stamp comprise:
- 1st Class: Lightning F6: The Lightning represents the fastest British-made fighter of all time, being the first supersonic craft to enter RAF service (in 1959). It featured two Rolls Royce engines and its power allowed for take-off and a rate of climb faster than any other jet.
- 1st Class: Hurricane Mk I: The Hurricane is credited with winning the Battle of Britain, accounting for 55% of German losses, as well as essential service during the Dunkirk evacuation.
- £1.40: L Vulcan B2: The Vulcan is the iconic delta wing bomber and a major UK engineering triumph. Designed as a high altitude bomber it entered service in 1956 and was withdrawn in 1984. It was part of the V-force which were designed to carry Britain’s nuclear deterrent.
- £1.40: Typhoon FGR4: The state of the art fighter – one-third British and the current principal craft defending UK skies and increasingly deployed in overseas activity. It is a multi-role fighter, first deployed to the RAF in 2003 and first saw active service in Libya in 2011.
- £1.57: Nimrod MR 2: The Nimrod was introduced in 1969 for maritime patrol, surveillance and anti-submarine roles. Sophisticated radar and electronic surveillance equipment was in the extended nose and tail.
- £1.57: Camel F1: The Sopwith Camel F1 is the best known and most successful Allied WW1 fighter and scout aircraft, credited with shooting down almost 1,300 enemy aircraft it was also successful as a ground attack craft.
For anyone with an avid interest in aviation, we also have a range of collectible products available that commemorate the Battle of Britain. They are available here on the Post Office Shop in our range of collectible products.
Released 20th March 2018
Sorry, there is no additional information available for this product at this time.