Piers Proms and Pavilions Miniature Sheet First Day Cover - BC512M

Piers, Proms and Pavilions Miniature Sheet Stamp Cover featuring 4 Special Stamps - BC512M

£8.32 Ex VAT
£9.98 Inc VAT
Piers Proms and Pavilions Miniature Sheet First Day Cover - BC512M
101-8192 BC512M new https://ik.imagekit.io/pimberly/595e406f0f15f30010780448/tr:w-1000,h-1000,cm-pad_resize/25e7d304/5bb5fd22a6910b6edd0001e6.jpg

A beautifully presented miniature sheet cover with a striking view of Brighton Pier.

Here at the Post Office Shop, we have a large selection of collectible coins and stamps which will recognise a wide variety of different events and themes. Within this selection is the Piers, Proms and Pavilions Miniature Sheet Stamp Cover.

This colourful stamp cover shows a set of four miniature sheet stamps cancelled down with a specially designed Brighton helter-skelter postmark on the first day of release alongside a stunning image of Brighton Pier.

In its original form in 1823, Brighton's first pier was the Old Chain Pier which was primarily used as a landing stage for passenger ships that sailed from Dieppe in France. Realising its commercial value, the owners began charging an entry fee of 2d and introduced kiosks selling souvenirs and confectionery as well as entertainment stalls with fortune tellers. The Chain Pier was struck by many storms in a ten year period between 1824 and 1834 causing irreparable damage and eventually the pier was bought out in 1889 by the Marine Palace & Pier Company. In December that year the pier was destroyed in a mighty storm and so needed to be built again in its entirety.

Brighton Marine Palace & Pier was finally opened in a grand ceremony on 20th May 1899 costing an unprecedented £27,000 to build. On the opening night a series of eight iron and steel arches were spectacularly illuminated by 3,000 light bulbs. These original steel arches can still be found by the entrance to Palm Court fish and chip restaurant.

For national security reasons The Palace Pier was closed in May 1940 as it was seen by the War Office to be potentially useful to seaborne invasion forces. In order to ensure the pier was not used for invasion, the War Office instructed that an entire section of the Palace Pier be completely removed and for it to be put under guard at all times.

In 1984 the pier was renovated under new ownership. Major changes were introduced such as free admission, free deck chairs, new food outlets on the forecourt and a traditional fish and chip restaurant.

Today there are 67,000 lights illuminating Brighton Pier a majority of which, in regards to our commitment to environmental issues, have been converted to long life, energy saving bulbs.

At 1,722 foot long and acknowledged as the finest pier ever built, Brighton Pier (a grade 2 listed building) now offers all the swagger and style of tradition balanced with the pace and excitement of today.

The miniature sheet stamps included on this stamp cover are:

  • Llandudno Pier
  • Dunoon Pier
  • Brighton Pier
  • Worthing Pier

Release Date: 18th September 2014

BUCKCOVERS
In Stock  In Stock
Consumer Pricing / Business Pricing
Product Code
101-8192
OEM
BC512M
 
Free Delivery
Available for delivery to mainland UK address' only
  • Piers Proms and Pavilions Miniature Sheet First Day Cover - BC512M
  • Piers Proms and Pavilions Miniature Sheet First Day Cover - BC512M

Piers, Proms and Pavilions Miniature Sheet Stamp Cover featuring 4 Special Stamps - BC512M

A beautifully presented miniature sheet cover with a striking view of Brighton Pier.

Here at the Post Office Shop, we have a large selection of collectible coins and stamps which will recognise a wide variety of different events and themes. Within this selection is the Piers, Proms and Pavilions Miniature Sheet Stamp Cover.

This colourful stamp cover shows a set of four miniature sheet stamps cancelled down with a specially designed Brighton helter-skelter postmark on the first day of release alongside a stunning image of Brighton Pier.

In its original form in 1823, Brighton's first pier was the Old Chain Pier which was primarily used as a landing stage for passenger ships that sailed from Dieppe in France. Realising its commercial value, the owners began charging an entry fee of 2d and introduced kiosks selling souvenirs and confectionery as well as entertainment stalls with fortune tellers. The Chain Pier was struck by many storms in a ten year period between 1824 and 1834 causing irreparable damage and eventually the pier was bought out in 1889 by the Marine Palace & Pier Company. In December that year the pier was destroyed in a mighty storm and so needed to be built again in its entirety.

Brighton Marine Palace & Pier was finally opened in a grand ceremony on 20th May 1899 costing an unprecedented £27,000 to build. On the opening night a series of eight iron and steel arches were spectacularly illuminated by 3,000 light bulbs. These original steel arches can still be found by the entrance to Palm Court fish and chip restaurant.

For national security reasons The Palace Pier was closed in May 1940 as it was seen by the War Office to be potentially useful to seaborne invasion forces. In order to ensure the pier was not used for invasion, the War Office instructed that an entire section of the Palace Pier be completely removed and for it to be put under guard at all times.

In 1984 the pier was renovated under new ownership. Major changes were introduced such as free admission, free deck chairs, new food outlets on the forecourt and a traditional fish and chip restaurant.

Today there are 67,000 lights illuminating Brighton Pier a majority of which, in regards to our commitment to environmental issues, have been converted to long life, energy saving bulbs.

At 1,722 foot long and acknowledged as the finest pier ever built, Brighton Pier (a grade 2 listed building) now offers all the swagger and style of tradition balanced with the pace and excitement of today.

The miniature sheet stamps included on this stamp cover are:

  • Llandudno Pier
  • Dunoon Pier
  • Brighton Pier
  • Worthing Pier

Release Date: 18th September 2014

Contact the Post Office Shop Customer Care Team

Opens in new window
Contact the UK Call Centre on: 0344 826 1399

0344 826 1399

Open 9am - 5pm Mon-Fri

UK Call Centre. Opening time can vary subject to annual or public holidays.
Orders are not taken by our operators over the phone
Orders are not taken by our operators over the phone Orders must be placed online and we are unable to take orders over the telephone due to PCI compliance regulations. We apologise for any problems this may cause to some users.

Post Office Shop is a registered trademark of Post Office Ltd.
© Post Office Limited . All rights reserved.
All order are subject to the Terms & conditions.